Tuesday, February 28, 2006

February at Georgetown

I am now in my seventh week at Georgetown College. It has been a good six weeks completed and spring break in coming up in just two weeks and I am excited about returning home to see everyone.

Georgetown College has been a great experience thus far. I have enjoyed most every aspect of the college life. I at this point have A's in all my classes: New Testament I 97%, Principles Sociology A-, New Testament II 94.5%, Old Testament Law and History 90%, and History of Philosophy I 90%. I am right on the border of many of them and do not expect them to stay A's, but I'll do my best to keep them that way.

Now I have extremely enjoyed my Religion classes, along with the others, but I do have major differences with there understanding and approach to Scripture. For this reason, I have decided to leave Georgetown College and attend a school more dedicated to defending the infallibility of Scripture. Nevertheless, this is not an attack on Georgetown College or my professors. I still affirm that the two men who I have as Religion professors are Christians. However, one might be considered a heretic by of my fellow conservatives.

It is important however to understand that God has brought me here for a reason. Before my coming here, I considered myself a conservative Christian according to the Protestant Reform. However, I did not loathe the liberalism of the Church. Now by my coming here I loathe the liberal view of Scripture. Do not misunderstand me though. I loathe the liberal view of Scripture (one that does not view it as and the inerrant and infallible Word of God), but I do not call all who hold this view heretics, nor do I doubt their faith in, love for, and fellowship with Christ. However, this experience has given me a drive to be a better student of Scripture so that I can defend the faith once and for all delivered to the saints.

Because I am unable to go home every weekend, I have started attending Georgetown Baptist Church, which is about a ten-minute walk from my dorm. It is a wonderful little church with a desire to serve God. Pastor Ken has been very welcoming, as has the rest of the fellowship. I have started to work with the R.A.'s (1st-6th grade boys). It is a new and exciting challenge that I look forward to.

God bless

3 comments:

  1. Well, when will you be leaving, then? Who are your profs this semester? Additionally, where will you go, instead?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Josh, well I will finish out my semester here at GC. Then next year I will go somewhere else. I have not yet decided where I will go, though I figure I will end up at Boyce. It is close, less expensive and I think I will get a good solid education there. But part of me wants to stay home and do distant learning, but I know that it would not give me what going away to school can. But I can't say for sure how things will work out, have to see what God shows me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck to you on your travels. Continue to ask questions. They're valuable.

    ReplyDelete