Saturday, December 03, 2005

Georgetown College

I drove over five-hundred miles in two days to go to and come back from Georgetown College. All in all it was a great trip, and now nervousness and excitement settle in as I prepare for the actual departure to Georgetown College for school.

I arrived Thursday in Georgetown and after a moment of confusion I found the Admissions building and made sure I knew where to be at 2 o'clock for my meeting with Cammi Carpenter. After that I was set to see campus and I met up with Kristie and her roommate, Rachel, and friend, Bobby Joe, for Lunch at the Caf, which is short for Cafeteria. After some good food Rachel and Bobby Joe went to class and Kristie and I glanced around the campus until she had to leave for her class.

I hung around some on the campus until I met with Cammi. Our meeting was great and Cammi got me pointed in the right direction. I met up with Kristie again and she helped me with my scheduling and then she left for her lab. I retreated to my hotel room and had a much needed nap.

Upon waking up I got dressed and went and saw Kristie at her work, the Mulberry, and a little before 9 o'clock Rachel, Steven, and I left for PHA, an independent fraternity, for Devo. That was awesome. I guess it fits the mold for the normal Christian college devo in which you come in sing a few songs and then some one speaks; in this case it was a member of PHA. The speaker was great. A message about the greatness of God's grace, which not only saves us from His wrath, but enables us to live in His way.

Rachel and I waited for Kristie to get off work and then we went out to T.G.I. Fridays for dinner. It was fun getting to hang out with Kristie and to get to know her roommate a little. We arrived back to campus around midnight and they walked me to my car, as odd as that sounds, figuring it was about 20 degrees, and then I drove them to their building.

Day two was good as I got up around 7am and checked out of my hotel. The gentleman working was Indian, from India, and his music sounded very familiar and I asked him from where he came. Then I told him how Indian music was a lot like that of Arab’s and we began to talk about the conflict in Iraq. After a good conversation I headed to the library to meet with my V.I.P., Visit In Person, group. That was kind of odd with the fact that most of them were high school seniors and below and I am 22 years old. It was a good time where I got to hear from some of the professors and students about classes and campus life.

When finished with that I did some Georgetown investigating trying to see how to get to some of the places I might need to go to. One thing I guess I'll need to find is a church to attend. There are thirty-one Baptist churches in Georgetown so my selection is not limited, but it might be difficult. There are many large churches, but I am thinking about attending a smaller church that has less resources. Being that I am a Religion major I am hoping that God will be able to use me in one of the local congregations. If I am to attend a large church I might just be another Georgetown student and my abilities not needed, so I guess I will just have to be prayerful about that as to where God might lead me.

After my exploring I called Kristie to see if she wanted to do anything and I unfortunately woke her up from a nap. I figured she needed to sleep after staying our late with me the night before so I made my journey back to Sparta the wrong way. I went through Lexington during rush hour and then hit the always bad Knoxville traffic. But around 6:30 I made it home. All in all it was a good trip.

After some time being bored at home Lance called me to ask about my trip and to encourage me. I really needed that and it was awesome. He came over and we talked about all sorts of things and as the night came to be late he decided to stay the night and we laid in our beds talking about stuff till one in the morning. I never really knew how much Lance and I had in common and now we are both trying to leave home to go to school. I guess we both have nervous excitement about it and basically we agree that we just have to leave it up to God to have it work out the way it should.

Kristie, Rachel, and Lance, thanks for a great two days.

3 comments:

  1. You write:
    "Being that I am a Religion major I am hoping that God will be able to use me in one of the local congregations. If I am to attend a large church I might just be another Georgetown student and my abilities not needed, so I guess I will just have to be prayerful about that as to where God might lead me."

    I respond:
    This sounds ambitious but, please, don't forget to take time to be a student and be ministered to. As a Christian, you're always a minister of the mystery and beauty of the Christian faith but Georgetown is also a good place to be ministered to. I suggest Faith Baptist Church. Give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey man, thanks for the encouragement. I know what you mean and I agree that this stage of my life needs to be more about me then about others, as bad as that sounds. But for me to be a man of God I need to be most concerned about my relationship with Jesus and my knowledge of Him and His Word. Yet, at the same time I think my best chance of growing is to be involved with a group of people who are determined to serve Him. I dont want to become a lazy thinker, but a active doer. But I will take your advice and go to Faith Baptist Chruch for the first few weeks and if I feel that is where God is leading then I will stay. Thanks agian Josh for the encouragement and thought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying focus on yourself. I don't think you can act in a Christian way and do that. Rather, I'm hoping you'll minister to those who surround you in a less formal sense.

    Peace.

    ReplyDelete